Free Hollow to Forest Home
- Abt, Henry E., Ithaca, Ross W. Kellogg, Ithaca, NY, 1926.
- Bell, Barbara, Glance Backward, Watkins Glen, 1970.
- Benjamin, Asher, The American Builder’s Companion, Dover Publications Inc., New York, 1969.
- Bishop, Morris, A History of Cornell, Cornell University Press, Ithaca, NY, 1962.
- Bouldin, Cynthia, interviews and memoranda, 1973.
- Bush, Grace, inverviews and memoranda, 1973.
- Colman, Gould P., Education and Agriculture, Cornell University Press, Ithaca, NY, 1963.
- Day, Charles, Report of the Semi-Centennial (Jubilee and Reunion of the Half Century Club of Tompkins County. 9.8.1881), Andrus and Church, Ithaca, NY, 1881.
- Drake, Nellie, History of Forest Home in the Early Days. From a report given to the Forest Home Sewing Circle. Copied from the minutes by Grace Bush. Undated.
- Edwards, Charlotte, Recollections of Forest Home in the Early Days. From a report to the Forest Home Sewing Circle. Copied from the minutes by Grace Bush. Undated.
- Edwards, Walter W., Reminiscences of Forest Home, Cornell University Archives, Collection of Regional History, 1946-49, number 552 Tompkins County. Undated.
- Force, Albert, The Story of Free Hollow, Ithaca, NY. Undated.
- Force, Albert, Oral History Interview with Gould Colman, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, January and March 1967.
- Force, Albert, The Town of Ithaca, typed manuscript. Undated.
- Forest Home Chapel – Background and Development, 50th Anniversary Booklet, Ithaca, NY, 1965.
- Forest Home Embroidery Club, minutes, 1915 to 1973.
- Forest Home Sewing Circle, excerpts from the minutes of June 26, 1941. Copied by Grace Bush.
- Gillespie, Helen E. Chittenden, Early Architecture of Central New York. Unpublished Master’s thesis, Cornell University, 1932.
- Girl Scout Troop 8 of Forest Home, Heritage Hike Project, March 1961.
- Goodwins, H. C., Ithaca as It Was and Ithaca as It Is. Andrus and Gauntlett, Ithaca, NY, 1853.
- Gould, Lucius D., Carpenters’ and Builders’ Assistant and Wood Workers’ Guide, revised and enlarged edition. Fourth edition, W. T. Comtock, New York, 1882.
- Hamlin, Talbot, Greek Revival Architecture in America, Oxford University Press, London – New York – Toronto, 1944.
- Hatfield, R. G., The American House-Carpenter. A Treatise upon Architecture, Cornices, Mouldings, Frming, Doors, Windows, Stairs, and Practical Geometry, Wiley and Putman, New York and London, 1845.
- Hertel, John and Martha, interviews and memoranda, 1973.
- Ithaca Journal, Ithaca, NY, May 22, 1965, special supplement on the history of Tompkins County; January 3, 1956.
Ithaca Journal News, December 1916.
Ithaca Daily Journal, June 3 and August 10, 1901; September 11, 1894; December 29, 1893.
Ithaca Journal and Advertiser, September 26, 1849.
- McCurdy, Adda and Clarence, interviews and memoranda, 1973.
- McKinney, Mary, Forest Home, an article from the Ithaca Journal, undated, but probably December 1916. (Also appears as a typed manuscript in the same file folder as no. 11.)
- Major, Joward, The Domestic Architecture of the Early American Republic – the Greek Revival. J. B. Lippincott Co., Philadelphia and London, 1926.
- Manning’s Ithaca Directory, H. A. Manning Publishing Company, Schenectady, NY, to 1972.
- Mayer, Virginia W., Ithaca Past and Present, City School District, Ithaca, NY, 1956.
- Newberry, Lily Ann, interviews and memoranda, 1973.
- Nicholson, Peter, The Carpenters’ New Guide (4th ed.), J. Taylor, London, 1805.
- Norris, Glenn, Early Explorers and Travellers in Tompkins County, DeWitt Historical Society, Ithaca, NY, 1961.
- Palmer, Glenn, interviews and memoranda, 1973.
- Ruffner, Clifford H., Jr., Study of Greek Revival Architecture in the Seneca and Cayuga Lake Regions. Unpublished thesis, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, 1939.
- Schmidt, Carl F., Greek Revival Details, Publ. by the author, Scottsville, NY, 1968.
- Selkreg, John, Landmarks of Tompkins County. Syracuse, NY, 1894.
- Tredgold, Thomas, Elementary Principles of Carpentry (6th ed.), Crosby Lockwood and Co., London, 1885.
- Wright, Albert Hazen, Pre-Cornell and Early Cornell XI (Gamma Alpha Graduate Scientific Fraternity – Its Beginning), Studies in History no. 26, Ithaca, NY, 1965.
- Cornell University Faculty Directories through 1972-73.
- Obituaries and Necrology of the Cornell Faculty, A4rchives, Olin Library, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY.
- Tompkins County Deed Records, Tompkins County Court House, Ithaca, NY.
- Burr, David H., Map of Tompkins County, publ. by Surveyor General William P. Stone, Ithaca, NY, 1833.
- Burr, David H., An Atlas of the State of New York. A Map of Several Counties (Simeon DeWitt, Surveyor General), publ. by D. H. Burr, New York, 1829. “Republished at Ithaca, NY, by Stone and Clark with corrections and improvements, 1841.”
- Tompkins County Map of 1853.
- New Topographical Atlas of Tompkins County, New York, Stone and Stewart, Philadelphia, 1866.
- Map of Forest Home, drawn by Mr. Hartman of Buildings and Properties, Cornell University. Undated, probably late 1920’s or early 1930’s.
- Map of Free Hollow drawn by Albert Force, Ithaca, NY. Undated.
- Maps of Free Hollow and Forest Home drawn by Elsie little, Ithaca, NY. Undated.
Also interviews with and/or correspondence from almost all present and many former Forest Home residents.
© 1974 Liese Price Bronfenbrenner, reprinted with permission